Friday 6 January 2012

What is Reiki?

Last week I discussed why I was initially drawn to Reiki but what is Reiki (pronounced Ray-kee)?

The word Reiki translates from the original Japanese meaning spiritual/Universal energy. Eastern medicine has always recognised and worked with this energy, which flows through all living things and is vital to well-being. Known as ‘ki’ in Japan, ‘chi’ in China and ‘prana’ in India and the practices of Acupuncture, T’ai chi and Yoga are also based on the free-flow of this energy in a person. The system of Reiki was developed by a gentleman called Mikao Usui in the early 1900’s. I think Reiki can sound confusing and very hippy and this can put people off just trying Reiki.


In basic terms, a Reiki practitioner asks the recipient to sit or lie somewhere comfortably. The Reiki practitioner then places their hands on or just above various areas of the recipient’s body. Reiki is activated by intention and addresses physical, emotional, spiritual and mental imbalances. The recipient’s physical, emotional and spiritual systems responds by moving toward balance. This response is typically experienced as relaxation. Whilst in this state of relaxation, your body starts to heal and balance itself. The Reiki Practitioner is not the healer; your body uses the Reiki Practitioner as a channel to this spiritual/universal energy.


There are 5 reiki precepts which everyone could bring into their daily life and the five I like to work with daily are:-

Just for today do not worry
Just for today do not anger
Respect every living thing
Honour your parents, teachers and elders
Earn your living honestly

I meditate on these 5 precepts twice daily and they are in the front of my Filofax as a constant reminder.


Do you have any questions about Reiki? Ask me below and I will try and answer them for you.

Why not give Reiki a try? What have you got to loose?

Follow me on Twitter


Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment